|QE Practice Area Director - Quality Engineering|
About Slalom Build
Slalom Build is a highly-scalable, high-velocity Build as a Service firm. We work with clients to close the distance between dream and reality, imagined possibility and technical realization.
We do this by blending design, product engineering, analytics, and automation to build the modern technology products of tomorrow.
Nearly 1000 builders strong in seven Build Centers across North America, Slalom Build leverages a foundation of innovation inherited from Slalom Consulting. We’re intensely proud to partner with future-focused clients committed to disrupting their industries.
Founded in 2001 and headquartered in Seattle, WA, Slalom has organically grown to over 6,000 employees. We were named one of Fortune’s 100 Best Companies to Work For in 2017 and are regularly recognized by our employees as a best place to work. You can find us in 27 cities across the U.S., U.K., and Canada.
Practice Area Director
Slalom is seeking senior candidates for Quality Engineering (QE) Leader roles within its rapidly growing Software QE Practice. This role includes the delivery of consulting and strategy services to clients that are looking to establish better software engineering and quality engineering practices. It requires leading teams of QE/testing personnel performing both manual and automated testing, working directly with senior clients, while providing thought leadership to define and implement testing and test automation strategies. Additionally, qualified candidates will contribute by developing assets for the practice, participating in business development activities, and by leading Slalom people as a part of their core responsibilities.
Qualified candidates will have 15+ years in the Software QE (or related) field, with 8+ years serving as a Quality/Test Lead or Manager. Experience should extend across both manual and automated testing, as well as QE delivery in Agile delivery models.
* Client Management: Build strong relationships with local markets and VP level clients
* Pursuit Lead in Pursuits: Primary lead and driver of sales pursuits for large-scale product engineering deals
* People Management: Coaches, guides, and mentors Leaders to ensure success and ongoing skill development
* Operations: Responsibility for the financial health of the organization
* Staffing & Opportunities: Drives team staffing through collaboration across all delivery centers
* Delivery oversight across a broad portfolio of projects and clients
* Recognized expert and thought leader across all of Build and in local markets
* Capable of influencing client technical direction at director and VP level
* Establish technical baselines for more consistent delivery throughout Slalom
* Provides insight, innovation, and QA to the solution development process
* Creates new processes, identifies new offerings, and expands the Slalom brand
* Sponsors multiple competency groups
* Contributes to marketing through public speaking and/or writing
* Supports recruiting efforts
* Collaborates with other capabilities and PADs to generate work across all capabilities
* Manages project pricing and budgets, business operations, and proposal development
* Collaborates effectively across sales cycle to energize business development efforts, establish new business, drive the continuation of existing work, and identify new opportunities
* Experience leading test strategy in complex business domains, across a variety of technology platforms
* Strong understanding of test activities including test planning, test case design, and test execution
* Experience in all phases of the software and testing lifecycle, inception through deployment
* Delivery leadership in a range of agile methodologies (e.g. Scrum, Kanban, SAFE, LESS, etc.)
* Strong written and verbal communication skills; able to communicate technical topics to executive level stakeholders, build visual communication artifacts, and lead group presentations
* Informed opinions on common quality tools, vendors, and frameworks (e.g. TestRail, HP ALM, SauceLabs, Selenium, VSTS, Jira, Appium, Protractor, etc.)
* Breadth of experience in various QE-related roles from Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) through QE Management, including automation framework developer, performance engineer, defect manager, release manager, and data or environment manager
* People Management experience
* QE/testing practice development
* Additional technical experience across areas such as security testing, DevOps, and custom tool development
* Consulting experience working with senior level clients (directors, C-level)
* Clear emphasis and career focus on QE
* QE/testing, project management, and Scrum master certifications
Slalom is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.