Slalom is a purpose-driven consulting firm that helps companies solve business problems and build for the future, with solutions spanning business advisory, customer experience, technology, and analytics. We partner with companies to push the boundaries of what’s possible—together.
Founded in 2001 and headquartered in Seattle, WA, Slalom has organically grown to nearly 4,500 employees. We were named one of Fortune’s 100 Best Companies to Work For in 2017 and are regularly recognized by our employees as a best place to work. You can find us in 25 cities across the U.S., U.K., and Canada.
Job Title: Product Owner
Our product owners are passionate about creating products that make a difference for users and our clients. We have strong product instincts, deep customer expertise, a strong understanding of product design, all while operating with an agile technical fluency. Our product owners operate collaboratively with designers and engineers with a passion for navigating through ambiguous environments to continuously improve customer experiences.
Strategy, Planning, and Communication
- Working at the strategic level, propose innovative solutions for product direction, based on a combination of data, customer insights, intuition and experience.
- Assess business, market and customer needs and lead cross-functional product teams to find the fastest path to delivering values against those needs.
- Make product decisions that drive value on a daily basis while keeping customer needs in mind.
- Participate in continuous product discovery, monitors 3rd party research and maintains an up to date understanding of the competitive landscape to recommend the best solutions and ensure that products meet users’ needs.
- Develop and evolve product roadmap based on business priorities and customer needs that deliver the highest value
- Work with delivery teams to develop release estimates and plans for the product.
- Create, prioritize and accept user stories; incorporate them into release planning
- Condense complex technical concepts into non-technical language for stakeholders
- Establish a regular cadence for communications for product stakeholders and executives to enable trust and transparency
- Manage product team and stakeholder expectations to execute on product strategy and provides education to requestors to determine prioritization based on tangible benefits and/or user experience
Team & People
- Advocate for the end user and stakeholder by becoming associated with the product, empathizing with and understanding user needs
- Work closely with and provide direction and guidance to cross-functional delivery teams in an Agile environment
- Lead standups, iteration planning sessions, retrospectives and product demos
- Foster collaboration between IT teams, designers, developers, and business stakeholders
- Work with the product team to continuously assess progress, disseminate lessons learned, and understand next steps
- 5-7 years of relevant experience to include exposure to product and development teams, UX, design thinking, Agile principles, and client facing work
- Proficiency in lateral leadership, effectively aligning team members as well as client stakeholders and executives around a shared set of objectives to progress the goal of shipping the right product to the client’s customers.
- Experience working directly with clients and leading projects
- Experience with conflict resolution
- Experience in developing, motivating and leading high-performing teams
- Proficiency in communicating with and influencing functional and technical team members at all levels in the organization
- Proficiency in working as part of a collaborative, cross-functional, modern software design and development team
- Proficiency in creating, prioritizing and accepting user stories
- Proficiency in identifying goals, metrics and analytics to measure product value
- Demonstrated ability to influence decision making in different contexts
- Experience operating as a product manager or product owner
- Ability to facilitate collaborative decision-making in a workshop context along with coaching and leading others
- Experience articulating and testing product hypotheses
- Experience launching a new product from concept through launch
- Experience with driving innovation and influencing teams while keeping the end user in mind.
- Experience building customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Understanding of software operations and DevOps
- Strong communication skills to lead and build partnerships across project teams and stakeholders
- Ability to quickly understand a specific client domain and identify the trends and opportunities in that space
- Emotional intelligence, interpersonal savvy, deep user empathy and strong user experience sensibilities
- Understands the importance of user research and testing to understand needs
- Able to thrive in fast-paced, fluid environments where it may be necessary to move forward with imperfect information
- Experience in running data-driven experiments and analysis to optimize products and inform the strategy
Slalom is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.